Whether you’re investing in a metal building for residential or commercial purposes, you will likely be using it for storage. As such, not only is it crucial that you buy a structure that provides the space you need but you design its interior in such a way that will maximize the use of its storage capacity. For example, you’ll want to make sure that you have the proper storage solutions, such as shelves, racks, and other organizational systems, to improve your building’s functionality.
The Efficiency of Accurate Storage Plans
Although you could start installing your storage solutions without any kind of planning once your metal storage building is constructed, doing so without a proper plan in place is unwise and could lead to inefficient use of space. The last thing you want is to end up with empty spaces on the walls that can’t be filled, or worse still, overfilled corners with items that can no longer be retrieved.
Taking the time to develop a storage plan for your metal building can save you both time and money in the future. By sketching out a basic blueprint of how you’d like your interior setup, you’ll be able to quickly identify items that may not fit or overlapping uses of space.
Benefits Of Shelves for Metal Buildings
Shelves are one of the best storage solutions for any type of metal building. The following are just a few reasons why you should plan your metal storage building to accommodate shelves:
- Wall-mounted shelves help maximize the use of available space in metal buildings and allow you to keep your floor clear.
- Shelf storage makes it easy to keep your things organized, and the right shelving system can also make your metal building appear more organized and aesthetically pleasing.
- Shelf storage makes your things more accessible since they can be easily seen and accessed without having to move items around. It also allows you to store items in an orderly fashion, making it easier for you to find what you’re looking for when needed.
- Keeping things stored on your shelves can improve the safety of your metal building by organizing items in a way that makes it easier to identify potential hazards. Furthermore, shelves also keep your items from getting damaged or lost due to poor organization.
Also Read: 5 Benefits of Metal Storage Building Kits
Organization and Shelving Ideas for Metal Structures
There are many ways to make the most of your storage space in a metal building. The following solutions can help you keep your building as organized as possible:
- Tool Hanging: Hanging tools makes them easier for you to access when needed. You can also free up floor space by using wall-mounted tool holders.
- Wall-Mounted vs. Freestanding Shelving: Wall-mounted shelves allow you to capitalize on vertical space by keeping items off the floor and maximizing available wall area. Freestanding shelves, on the other hand, provide a more flexible solution, allowing you to move shelves around your metal building when needed. Both are great options depending on your needs.
- Wood vs. Metal Shelves: Wood shelves are the more traditional and versatile option, providing a range of styles, sizes, and finishes. However, metal shelves can often hold more weight.
- Cabinets or Counters: Cabinets and counters are a great way to keep items organized while also providing extra space for work surfaces. Cabinets can be used to store large items that may not fit onto shelves, while counters come in handy when it comes to various tasks, such as woodworking.
- Wire Shelving: Wire shelves are an incredibly popular option for metal buildings due to their simplicity and low cost. They are easy to install, light in weight, and provide quick access to items stored on them. However, they don’t offer much support to heavier items like tools or machinery.
- Pallet Racking: Pallet racking offers a solution to large and bulky items that may not fit on shelves. It is essentially an upright system of horizontal beams connected to vertical posts.
- Stalls For Small and Large Equipment: Utilizing stalls in your metal building can be a great way to store large and bulky items such as machinery or vehicles. A well-designed stall system ensures that each item is safe, secure, and easy to access when needed.
- Ceiling-Mounted Shelves: For those who need extra storage space in their metal building, ceiling-mounted shelves can be a great option. They are slightly more difficult to install, but when done properly, they are incredibly sturdy and provide ample storage room.
Considerations when Choosing Shelves for Metal Buildings
The following are a few things to keep in mind when you choose what shelves you want for your metal storage building:
- What is the load-bearing capacity?
- Are the materials durable and rust and corrosion-resistant?
- What is your budget?
- What are the installation requirements?
How Do I Hang Things in a Metal Building?
At first glance, it may seem a lot trickier to install shelves if you’ve built a metal building. The following are a few ways that you can do so:
- Attaching Shelves Directly to the Frame: This is a great option if you have an open wall in your metal building and want to maximize the use of available space.
- Attaching Wooden Beams in the Walls of the Shed: Another option is to secure wooden beams to the walls of your metal building. This is a more complicated option, but it also allows you to use heavier-duty shelves and hang more items from them.
- Freestanding or Floating Shelving Units: Freestanding shelving units are shelves that don’t need to be installed on the walls or floor of your metal building. They are a great option if you need additional storage but don’t want to commit to drilling holes in your structure.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Installing Shelves in Metal Buildings
Shelves can be incredibly useful to your metal storage building if you can avoid making the following mistakes:
- Not knowing what the function of your shelves will be before installing them.
- Not taking accurate measurements.
- Ignoring the weight capacity of the shelves.
Are there any specific building codes or regulations to follow when installing shelves in a metal building?
Yes, it is important to follow local building codes and regulations when installing shelves in a metal building. For instance, commercial metal buildings are subject to a higher set of standards than residential ones.
How much weight can metal building shelves typically hold?
This will be unique to the specific shelf that you purchase. Generally, light-duty shelves typically hold upwards of 175 kilos, while heavy-duty shelves can hold around 300 to 350 kilos.
What are the maintenance requirements for metal building shelves?
Very little besides dusting and drying off any spilled liquids.
What is the difference between boltless and bolted shelving for metal buildings?
Boltless shelving systems are connected via a series of pins and holes, while bolted shelving systems are secured with nuts and bolts. Boltless shelves tend to be easier to assemble and provide more stability than bolted shelves. However, they may not be as strong or as durable.
Get Top Quality Metal Storage Buildings
Toro Steel Buildings offers top-of-the-line metal storage buildings designed and engineered to meet all of your storage needs. For information about our metal building kits or to request an estimate, contact us online or call us at 1-877-870-8676 today.