Investing in a carport can be incredibly beneficial in several ways. A metal carport will help provide protection for your vehicles, save you time and money, and can increase the value of your property. Whether you are looking to buy a steel carport as an alternative to a traditional garage or simply need additional space that’s protected from the elements, this guide will help you choose a carport that’s right for you.
8 Things to Consider Before Buying a Steel Carport
No two steel carports are the same, which is why it’s essential that you take the following eight things into consideration when shopping for carports:
- Type of Vehicle: Different types of vehicles may require different amounts of space. If you plan on storing multiple vehicles, consider a larger option that has ample space. If you’re storing an RV, you may need a carport that has more height.
- Location: Your location will determine how much space is available, which affects the size of the carport you can install. Additionally, you’ll need to consider whether you’re planning to install it right next to your house or away from it. Finally, you’ll need to evaluate the land to determine if it’s level enough for installation.
- Certification: Some steel carports require certification to ensure they meet the safety and quality standards of your area. For example, your carport may be required to withstand certain wind and snow thresholds. If you’re not sure what is required, it’s best to check your local building codes and requirements.
- Weather Evaluation: Even if there are no specific permits required for your structure, you’ll still want to consider the environmental factors that may affect your carport. Consider the average amount of snowfall, wind, rain, and humidity in your area to determine which type of carport will best suit your needs.
- Style Selection: Make sure you choose a carport that complements your property’s existing structures. If it doesn’t, it can stand out like a sore thumb, thereby hurting your curb appeal.
- Know Your Budget: The size, materials, and customization options you choose will all affect the overall cost of your carport. As such, it’s important that you understand what your budget is when ordering.
- Delivery Time: Consider how quickly you want your carport to be delivered and installed. If you build your carport from scratch, it may take longer, especially if the project gets pushed back due to delays in sourcing and shipping parts. A prefabricated steel carport will have a short delivery time, allowing you to construct it faster.
- Type of Foundation: You’ll need a foundation for your carport if you’re going to use it to store your vehicles. Understanding which is the best for your structure and giving it time to settle before you begin building your carport is important.
How to Choose the Right Size for Your Needs
When determining what the size your steel carport needs to be, don’t just consider your current needs. Consider your future needs as well. For example, if you only have a small car but think you might upgrade to a larger vehicle or plan to own two cars at some point in the future, you’ll want to make sure you choose a carport that can accommodate those. With that in mind, the following are a few tips to help you choose the right size carport:
Width Size Chart
The standard size for a single-car carport is 12 feet, while 18 to 22 feet is often suitable for fitting two compact cars. If you need to store multiple larger cars or a truck, 22 to 30 feet is recommended. If you’re building a commercial carport, it should be at least 30 feet wide.
The length should be determined by the length of your vehicle as well as whether you need additional storage space for things like bicycles or equipment. If you simply need to store a compact car, then 21 feet is long enough. If you need to store an RV or a truck, then it should be at least 41 feet long.
The height is measured at the lowest point your vehicle has to clear, which is why it’s done by side height. Keep in mind that if you plan to enclose the carport in the future, then your side height needs to be tall enough to accommodate a garage door.
Questions to Ask Before Buying a Metal Carport
The following are some of the common questions we get about metal carports here at Toro Steel:
Should I Build a DIY Carport?
Carports, in general, are much easier to construct than other types of buildings. At Toro, we offer DIY carport kits that come with prefabricated components and detailed instructions so that you can assemble the carport yourself.
What Material Is the Carport Made From?
Not all metal carports are made from the same material. We use Galvalume Plus steel, which is a type of steel with a special coating that helps it resist weathering and corrosion. This makes it an ideal material for outdoor structures like carports.
Can I Order a Customized Metal Carport Kit from Toro?
Yes, you can. You can design your carport to fit your size requirements for width, length, and height.
What are the Tallest Metal Carports You Have?
Our carports can be designed to meet your needs and can accommodate a variety of height requirements. Speak to a building expert to ensure that your carport can be built to suit the height you need.
Get the Best Deal for Your Steel Carport Kit from Toro
At Toro, we are committed to providing customers with the best steel carports on the market. We offer a variety of sizes and styles for you to choose from. Our kits are easy to install and come with all the necessary components, including detailed instructions. To discuss your steel carport needs or to request an estimate, contact us online or speak with a building specialist over the phone by calling 1-877-870-8676 today.