It wasn’t long ago that if you drove down a Canadian highway, you’d notice that most of the structures you’d pass by were made out of wood composites or a combination of wood, concrete, and steel. These days, take that same drive, and you’ll find that more and more buildings are being constructed out of metal. There are several reasons for this.
First of all, metal buildings are more durable and are therefore more suitable for withstanding harsh winter weather. Secondly, metal buildings are resistant to fire and termite damage, something wood buildings are extremely vulnerable to. Finally, metal buildings are easier to assemble since they can be prefabricated and don’t need to be built from the ground up on-site.
While these are some of the primary reasons why metal buildings are preferred to wood and concrete buildings, they aren’t the only reasons. The following is an exploration of why the metal building industry is flourishing in Canada.
Reasons Why Steel Buildings in Canada Are Popular
The following are some of the reasons why steel buildings have become so popular among residential homeowners and commercial businesses here in Canada:
- Less Expensive in the Long Term: Steel buildings typically have less expensive repair and maintenance costs compared to other building materials. Additionally, because everything is prefabricated, assembly is easy, and you can save money on labour costs.
- Environmentally Responsible: Metal buildings are more eco-friendly than other materials because they require fewer resources to build. Additionally, they can be easily recycled at the end of their useful life. Steel buildings also have a much longer life span than wood or concrete structures, making them especially efficient when it comes to resource usage.
- Withstand Harsh Climates: Steel buildings are highly resistant to snow, rain, and other harsh weather conditions, making them especially suitable for Canada’s harsh climate. The superior insulation available also makes it a great choice if you’re looking to save on energy costs as well.
- Suited for Varied Forms of Construction: Steel buildings are extremely versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. They’re also well-suited for commercial applications such as car dealerships, retail stores, industrial facilities, and more. These are just some of the reasons why steel buildings have become so popular in Canada.
Steel Buildings & the Environment in Canada
Steel has a recycling rate of 88 percent in Canada, which is considerably higher than other building materials such as wood and concrete. Steel is also a sustainable material, meaning that it can be reused many times over without losing its structural integrity.
Steel Buildings & Sustainable Development Goals
Steel buildings help to contribute to several of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The following are some of the specific SDGs steel buildings contribute to:
- SDG 9 – Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure: Steel buildings are the perfect choice for industrial areas that require robust structures with high levels of safety and security.
- SD G 11 – Sustainable Cities and Communities: Steel buildings can help to create sustainable, vibrant urban centers with their low maintenance costs and long lifespan.
- SDG 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production: Steel buildings can be endlessly recycled, making them an ideal choice for those looking to reduce their environmental impact.
Steel Buildings in Canada are Creating Jobs
The construction industry in Canada is a major contributor to the economy, and steel buildings are an important part of that. Steel buildings create jobs for Canadians in all stages of the construction process, from fabrication to installation. Furthermore, steel is a highly versatile material that can be used for a wide range of applications, opening up new markets and creating economic opportunities across the country.
The Future of Steel Buildings in Canada
The steel building industry is continuing to evolve and grow with the introduction of new technologies. In the future, steel buildings will be even more efficient and eco-friendly than they are today. For instance, the Canadian Steel Producers Association aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from steel production by 30 percent by 2030.
Additionally, as more and more people learn about the benefits of metal buildings, they are increasingly becoming the material of choice for industrial, commercial, and residential applications. As such, steel buildings in Canada will continue to be an integral part of the economy for years to come.
Go Green with Our Steel Buildings in Canada
If you’re looking to construct an eco-friendly new building, then metal is the best material to choose. Steel buildings in Canada are strong, durable, and energy efficient – the perfect choice for any construction project.
We are committed to helping our customers build green, sustainable buildings across Canada. We offer a wide range of steel building solutions that are both cost-effective and eco-friendly. Nearly every part of our metal buildings is recyclable, and each structure is durable to last for decades.
Leverage the Toro Steel Advantage for Steel Buildings in Canada
At Toro, we provide high-quality steel buildings in Canada that are designed to meet the specific needs of our customers. We offer customized building solutions and a full range of services, including design, engineering, fabrication, and more. With over years of experience in the industry and a team of dedicated professionals, you can count on us to find the perfect steel-building solution for your business.
Leverage the Toro Steel advantage today and get started on creating green, sustainable buildings across Canada. For more information about our metal buildings or to request a free quote, be sure to contact us online or call us at 1-877-870-8676 today.