Are you a boat enthusiast? Fell in love with a boat and just decided to go ahead and buy it? Ah, but now comes the difficult part of finding a good place to store your boat, especially during the cold, harsh winter that Canada and northern parts of the U.S. experience. Here’s the perfect solution to your problem – build a steel boat storage shed!
Storage Options for Your Boat
Cruising away on your boat is probably one of the most enjoyable things in life and is perfect for those relaxing ‘lazy days’. However, storing your boat can become quite expensive, especially during the winter.
You may choose to store it in water or ashore. If you choose to store it ashore or on land, you must prepare it properly for the winter and choose some sort of storage option. These on-land storage options are plentiful, but they are quite expensive. Furthermore, the storage place may be too far from where you live and will cause a lot of inconveniences.
The only other option is to store your boat at home and it is practically impossible to fit a boat into a normal-sized garage! So, some people are forced to keep it in their backyard. Not only will it look totally out of place and detract from the beauty of your yard, but storing your boat outside could also damage it. If it is stored in the yard, it will be constantly exposed to the elements and this could cause serious problems regarding its maintenance. You may think covering it with a tarp will solve your problems, but what about when the snow is piling up?
Why you should opt for a boat storage shed?
Building a boat storage shed enables you to store your boat on your own property, thus reducing your storage expenses. You could choose from a wide variety of storage sheds and even garages or carports which are also ideal for storing an oversize vehicle such as a boat.
These storage sheds are perfect for keeping your boat enclosed within four walls and safe from exposure to the snow and other elemental forces. There are different types of storage buildings which you could opt for and these will also help to protect your boat from being vandalized. These also are more visually appealing than leaving the boat in the backyard and letting the elements get the better of it.
How to Properly Winterize Your Boat
Before storing your boat in your storage shed for winter, be sure to do the following:
- Wash Your Boat: Start by thoroughly cleaning your boat and removing all dirt, grime, algae, and other debris. Scrub down the hull and decking with a mild detergent or boat soap. Rinse off all cleaning supplies completely, as any residue can corrode metal surfaces. As soon as your boat is clean, be sure to dry it thoroughly. Moisture left on the boat’s surface can lead to mold and mildew.
- Fix Damages: Check for any damages that have occurred over the course of the summer. This includes repairing any loose or worn-out parts, checking for rust and corrosion, and tightening all fittings. Doing so is critical before winter hits because cold temperatures can make existing damage worse.
- Flush Out the Coolant System: If your boat has a coolant system, it’s important to flush it out in order to prevent engine damage caused by winter freezes.
- Add a Fuel Stabilizer: Gasoline will slowly break down if left unused for too long. Adding fuel stabilizers to the tank will help prevent any issues from occurring while the boat is not in use. This will ensure that your engine starts up without any problems when the weather warms up.
- Apply Aerosol Fogging Solution: To keep the engine lubricated through the winter, use a fogging solution to coat the internal parts. This will help prevent any rust and corrosion from occurring and reduce problems with frozen components.
- Drain the Engine & Change the Oil Filter: Before storing your boat for the winter, be sure to drain the engine of any remaining oil and replace the oil filter. This will help ensure that no contaminants are present in the engine when you go to start it up in the spring.
Choosing the Perfect Steel Boat Storage Shed
When choosing the type of boat storage shed you should opt for, consider these main factors:
- The size of your property
- The size of the boat that you wish to store
- If you wish to store any other vehicles, consider their size as well while selecting your boat shed.
Steel boat storage sheds are the perfect choice if you want the boat to be enclosed in such a way that it also cannot be visible to your neighbours. In today’s market, there are a variety of trendy designs for storage sheds which can also complement the look and feel of your home!
- Designing a Steel Building for Vehicle Storage
- Why Steel Buildings are Perfect for Golf Cart Storage