When it comes to farm buildings, wood has historically been the chosen material because of how “user-friendly” it is considered to be. For centuries, it was one of the most inexpensive and readily available materials. Wood is also quite flexible, which means owners can design and build their own structures without too much difficulty.
However, the benefits of steel for construction have become more obvious over time, and it’s now quickly becoming the preferred option for a variety of industrial, commercial, and warehouse applications.
One of the main benefits of using steel is that it allows buildings to be pre-engineered, meaning that construction time and costs are greatly reduced. This is ideal for those who need a building to be up and running quickly. Even in industries where wood has traditionally been relied on for construction, such as the agricultural and livestock sectors, steel is becoming the go-to material.
With that in mind, the following is a breakdown of why steel has become a superior alternative to wood when it comes to farm buildings in particular.
The Dangers of Mold for Your Health
Mold and mildew growth can cause a range of health issues, from allergic reactions to respiratory problems. These issues can affect both humans and animals, so it’s crucial to take steps to prevent mold growth.
By controlling the moisture in your building, you can also help to prevent any mold or mildew growth. The easiest way to control moisture is by investing in a metal building, which is naturally resistant to moisture-related damage.
Why Wood Faces Mold & Fungal Problems
One of the biggest challenges that come with using wood for construction is that wood can easily be damaged by mold and fungi. Wood absorbs moisture quickly, making it vulnerable to rot and decay. On the other hand, steel is non-porous and resistant to mold and fungal growth, so it doesn’t suffer the same problems as wood. Not to mention, steel is much easier to keep clean. Once mold or other fungi starts to grow on wood, it can be difficult to remove.
Why Steel Farm Buildings are a Perfect Replacement
Steel is the perfect alternative if you need to build another farm building on your property or you’re considering replacing your existing wood buildings. The following are a few reasons to choose steel farm buildings instead of wood:
- Frames are Made of Steel: Steel framing is much stronger than wood and can easily support the extra weight of a roof, walls, and other fittings. This makes it perfect for larger and more complex structures that require strength.
- Steel Doesn’t Support Moisture or Condensation: Since steel is non-porous, it doesn’t support moisture or condensation. This ensures that your building will remain dry and free from any kind of moisture-related problems.
- Steel Buildings are Prefabricated: A prefabricated building means the pieces are pre-cut and ready to be put together onsite. As a result, construction time is greatly reduced, which is ideal for those who need the building up and running quickly.
Comparing Metal Farm Buildings with Wooden Structures
When it comes to comparing wood to metal in terms of farm buildings, it’s clear that steel has a number of advantages. Not only are metal buildings much more resistant to moisture-related damage, but they are superior in the following ways as well:
- Safer Over the Lifetime of the Building: Steel buildings are more resistant to damage, which means there are fewer threats to their structural integrity over the lifetime of the building. This makes steel buildings generally safer than wood buildings.
- Longer Economic Life: Steel is much more durable than wood and can withstand extreme weather conditions without cracking or warping. This makes it ideal for longer-term investments, as steel buildings will last much longer than their wooden counterparts without the need for repair or replacement.
- Stronger Foundation: Steel frames require less maintenance than wood and are much more resistant to damage. This makes them perfect for areas that experience extreme weather conditions and strong winds, as the steel frames can handle the additional weight and movement without any problems.
The Advantages of Steel
Steel Resists Temperature Swells
Wood often shrinks and swells with changes in temperature and weather, which can lead to problems like warping, cracking, and splitting. As a result, it’s not uncommon for wood buildings to require frequent maintenance and repairs.
On the other hand, steel buildings are much more resilient and don’t suffer from these problems. This is because steel is much more durable and flexible in extreme weather conditions. Steel will bend and flex instead of cracking or warping.
Steel Buildings Can Save You Money Year After Year
Steel is a long-term investment that can save you money year after year. Not only is it more cost-effective to construct, but steel also requires less maintenance and repairs. This means that you’ll be able to enjoy your steel building for many years without having to worry about costly repairs or replacement. With the addition of insulation, you will be able to effectively keep your energy costs down as well.
Get the Ideal Steel Farm Building for Your Needs
If you’re planning to invest in a new farm building, you should consider the benefits of a prefab metal building. Here at Toro Steel Buildings, we specialize in custom steel buildings for a wide range of applications. We’ll work with you to create the ideal building that meets your specific needs and budget. Contact us online at Toro Steel Buildings or call us at 1-877-870-8676 for more information today.