A garden centre is a place similar to a nursery but that sells tools and equipment as well as plants and seeds. Most garden centres also rent out specialized equipment for bigger garden projects. Garden centres have grown in popularity because more and more people are spending time at home gardening. Not only is it a hobby, but many people are also growing vegetables and other produce to use in their home cooking.
With that in mind, a metal building is a great asset to any garden centre business. They are durable structures that can be designed to fit any need and provide excellent protection for plants and tools.
Difference Between a Garden Centre & Nursery
Garden centres typically have a larger selection of garden-related items than nurseries, with more choices for tools and equipment such as mowers, trimmers, and other gardening supplies. They also usually have a larger selection of plants available than nurseries do.
Nurseries are typically focused on plants, with a small selection of gardening tools and equipment. While many nurseries sell some items for garden maintenance, they are not typically designed to be a one-stop shop for gardeners.
What to Look for in a Steel Farm Building
Metal farm buildings are a great option for garden centres because they are easy to insulate, which means you can control the climate inside to ensure a healthy environment for your plants. Metal farm buildings are also durable and can withstand heavy winds, snow, and other weather conditions, and can help keep your tools and equipment safe and secure.
However, there are lots of other things you’ll need to consider before deciding which metal building to purchase for your garden centre, including the following:
- Decide what you will be selling: Consider what you want to sell besides plants. What kind of tools and equipment do you plan on selling? Figuring this out is critical to determining what kind of business you want to run and should be done before you begin looking at metal farm buildings. After all, what you decide to sell will determine how big of a space you’ll need.
- Decide your location: The success of your garden centre will depend a lot on where you build it. You’ll want your business to be located in an area where there’s a lot of traffic to help attract as many customers as possible. However, you’ll also need a site that provides you with enough space. For instance, if you plan on growing your own plants to sell, you’ll need several acres of land. The space you select will also impact the size of the structure you are looking for.
- Design an inviting and appealing structure: Metal farm buildings being used as garden centres should be designed to be welcoming and appealing to customers. This means designing the exterior to make it look attractive, adding signage, and more. You can do this through landscaping, which will reflect your ability to care for the plants you’re selling. You’ll also want to make sure your metal building can be seen easily so people driving by will know to stop.
- Show customers your skills: To be successful, you need to earn the trust of potential customers. The best way to do this, besides showing your prowess with plants and landscaping, is to build an appealing and functional structure to run your business out of.
- Understand the regulations and permits needed: Be aware of the regulations and permits that need to be obtained to operate a garden centre and build a steel structure. These will vary from one place to another and can include zoning permits, building permits, and more.
- Know how much utilities cost: Utilities can get expensive when it comes to running a garden centre, especially when you consider the amount of water you’ll be using to water your plants. Make sure you know how much water and electricity you’ll need to use to grow and run your garden centre, and ensure your structure is placed somewhere that both can easily be connected. You will also want to consider adding insulation to your structure to ensure you can keep the plants alive and customers comfortable no matter the season.
- Learn safety rules for garden centers: You’ll need to learn the safety regulations for running a garden centre in your location. You’ll want to ensure the safety of your customers, employees, and building, which includes everything from preventing fires and controlling pests to properly storing weed killers and other hazardous materials. A steel building is fire resistant, pest resistant, and can be built to include ventilation and sprinkler systems for safety.
- Choose the correct size and customizations for your metal building: Consider how much space you need for what you plan to sell and grow to determine how big you need your building to be. Additionally, consider how you want to customize your building; for instance, how many windows you need, what kind of insulation you want, and what types of doors you want to include. These can include larger sliding doors to allow larger equipment and plants to move in and out with ease.
Get the Perfect Steel Farm Building for Your Garden Centre
At Toro, we understand the importance of having a metal building that best fits your garden centre’s goals and needs. That’s why we offer a variety of customizations so you can get the perfect steel agricultural building for your business. We will work closely with you to determine the exact specifications you need and help you choose the features you need to customize your building to meet your unique requirements.